12/29/18 Newsletter & Q&A

Discussion in 'Lore Info' started by MindGate, Dec 29, 2018.

?

Which claiming system would you prefer?

1. Pre-Claim

51.4%
  2. First Come, First Serve

48.6%
  1. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill
    Staff Member Senior Admin Meme King of New Dawn Lore Master

12/29/18 Newsletter

Hello and welcome to the 29th of December issue of the newsletter! I wanted to share some new details regarding the new lore, this will serve as a minor appetizer for what is coming over the next few days. So, let’s get right into it.

New Rules

First up is a reveal--as previously mentioned, we had been considering allowing people to specially apply as playable minors. This has been a hot topic for us on the admin chatroom and believe me, I never want to say the words 18+ again. Be that as it may, despite recent happenings on the Discord that nearly cost this for everyone … I’ve made the final decision to allow a select few to apply. This will be heavily capped and if you participate in any sorts of ERP, on or off the server, both parties may be liable for permanent ban. We do not condone this sort of heinous behavior and we will act accordingly.

We will allow a maximum of three people to apply as characters from fourteen and up, the reason for this being is that your character will still be able to go to school with the primary group of teenage characters, given you would be a freshman (or above) in High School. If you have a prior history of being banned for some degree of heinous RP, you will not be accepted. If you have any prior history of trolling or making gross meme characters, you will not be accepted. So long as you have no negative record, we will consider you for these roles.

Map Update

A small update regarding the map. Work continues on it, we’re making incredible progress and for frame of reference … here are some pictures of the town in its current state. It’s nothing too special to show off today, but a small taster for those of you who’ve been waiting for a little more visual detail for the upcoming custom map. I’m so far, from being able to explore, able to confidently say this is some of El Cid’s best work yet. It’s both visually and mechanically appealing due to the vast array of differing environments and range of quarters to fight in.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Release ETA

We do not currently have a window for release completely worked out, but it isn’t too far off. Right now, we know for sure it will be sometime very soon after the first of the year. I wish I could give you more on this end, but development on the map is still on-going and we’re working hard to make sure this is one of the most enjoyable lores yet. I hope you can understand the reason we’re hesitant to rush to launch!

Circle 8 Reveal (By Espa)
    [​IMG]
    “Introducing to the citizens of Astoria, a brand-new way of connecting with your neighbors, friends, and family! Having secretly been under production alongside Social Media Giants, like Facebook or Myspace, Circle8 will prove to meet their match and more! Not only will citizens be able to update statuses in real time, they'll be able to share videos and pictures at their leisure! In addition, there will be a Circle8 Listings Page for all those who desire to meet up with lost connections, to sell items or to ask around for such, and so much more! The Future is Now for our citizens and connecting closer to loved ones is so very important – Please, join us today!”

So! We’ll be trying something new that I think will add a ton of flavor, allow players to background RP whilst away from their computers in the form of Status-Updates, replying to other statuses, posting pictures and such. While this perhaps isn’t a game-changer, I do feel that it’ll link all our characters together and allow opportunities in RP that we have not had yet! Very excited to see how everyone utilizes it in the game world, for humor, danger, or seeking out the truth!

How it’ll be utilized by players:

• A Discord Channel will be added to simulate a Twitter Status-Updating App, where players can post as their characters RPly, updating statuses, posting in-game pictures and videos captures.
    (Example) Harriet Jones: Man, did you SEE that Mall? Like, wow. . #Blessed #AstoriaLife

• Also, a Forum Page will be added of Circle8 Listings where players can utilize it much like a Craigslist, posting requests for items, selling things, lost connections, etc.

Businesses (Need Player Input)

Onto something that I’ve heard plenty of mentions on. We’ve spoken over this a few times on the staff chat and can not honestly decide on which method players would prefer for this. So, I’ll extend the question via poll … would you rather us put together a select few list of businesses that you may pre-claim on the application, or, would you rather us handle the claiming process for structures the same way we did in the West Point lore where you’re expected to claim a structure upon first log in. We are able to do either and both do have benefits and cons, which I’m going to list below for a frame of reference past my incessant rambling.

Pre-Claims:

Pros

• Assures you will likely get the building you want and not have to worry about logging in on launch day.
    • Provides a frame of reference on what is and isn’t currently available as we will need to keep an updated list.

Cons

• Players who apply with these buildings may not log on, leaving an inactive player as the owner for longer than desired.
    • Requires more resources on our end that could be placed elsewhere.

First Come, First Serve Claims:

Pros

• You will have to log on the launch day to drop a claim on a certain building, which drastically decreases the chance of a player applying and not logging on with said claim, period.
    • Does not require near as much resources on us, considering we do not have to create/keep up with a list of available and non-available structures.

Cons

• You may not get to own the proper building you desire.
    • Doesn’t keep an updated record on what buildings are claimed and which aren’t.

Lore Name Contest

And now we’re going to get into something a little more fun. Right now, we’ve been rolling with what was originally intended as a placeholder name (Done to Death). I’ll admit, I’ve grown to love the name but I’ve heard from others that it may not be best in the long term, so, I’ll extend the question to each of you. What would you prefer we name the next lore? You’ll be credited on your contribution! We will take each and every name suggested down below into consideration and announce the winner come the next newsletter.

In Conclusion

That just about wraps up what I have to share for today. I hope you guys are enjoying the new format to the newsletter with the additions of these Q&As and non-monetary contests. Anyway, I’m excited for next lore and I’m glad each and everyone of you seem to be as pumped as you are! I’ve heard some very interesting character concepts over the past weekend and, man, some of these are just incredible. I legitimately cannot wait to see what you guys do with the next lore, but I know this much. I know we’re going to have some fun. Just like last time, though, I’ll be answering any questions that you have down below as fast as I can regarding the new postings and whatever else you may have! (Still, bare in mind, I can only answer so much regarding important details!)

#1 MindGate, Dec 29, 2018
    Last edited: Dec 29, 2018
    WeakLikeWeeds, Yarn, Espa and 2 others like this.
  2. MindGate

Reposted with the poll my dumbass forgot.

WeakLikeWeeds likes this.
  3. Oddish

Oddish Member

I have to vote pre-claim in regards to businesses, otherwise I predict a bit of confusion when it comes to available appropriate business buildings vs. what people have listed on their applications as their professions. On the same coin, I've seen in past lores where someone applied to own a business, and then never logged onto their character after the first few days of the lore -- which screwed out other characters who applied to work in the same profession, given there was only one appropriate building for it. Will there be some sort of system implemented to keep that situation from happening, such as adding all characters who applied to work at said shop onto the shop claim off the bat?

4. evan466

evan466 New Member

Voted pre-claim. I'd rather have the option of making a choice during character creation or something. It's annoying just running around the town trying to find and empty residence.

Wasn't around for vehicles in A New Dawn. How do you guys handle those?

5. Yarn

Yarn Member

Due to the focus on this big mall in this little town my vote for a lore name is "Shop 'Til you Drop". That is all, can't wait regardless of the title.

6. Oddish

Oddish Member

"This weekend, crowds are expected to pack into Astoria, where the city will celebrate one of the most important milestones its ever seen: the 50th anniversary of the Astoria-Megler Bridge.

When it first opened on August 27, 1966, some 30,000 people came to Astoria to mark the occasion. The bridge - the longest continuous truss bridge in North America - came after decades of slogging through the legislative process in both Oregon and Washington, briefly derided as a "bridge to nowhere."

... "Bridge to Nowhere" has a nice ring to it..

Andrew Noah, Espa and MindGate like this.
  7. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Murder Girl
    Staff Member Senior Admin Contributor

Minor grammatical quibble, it's "Till." So, "Shop Till You Drop." And that's your daily dose of pedantry, thanks everybody.

Alex12 likes this.
  8. MindGate

I'll have and discuss this with the rest of the team. It's been such a distant thought about vehicles in a pre-outbreak setting, I imagine our rule right now would be common sense driving rules. You'll still have to RP basic stuff and what you'd imagine on that end.

We probably won't dedicate an entire system to it, no. I imagine we'll follow the basic claim rules this go-around, if a player applies and does not log in for a week or so, they'll be removed from it. I may discuss an alternative with the team which allows us to remove the claim in the first few days if said players do not log in to redeem the claim.

9. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Speed limits?

10. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

When will applications open for the new lore?

Also... car insurance?

11. Yarn

Yarn Member

Thank you for the correction. I was thinking " 'til" as an abbreviation of "until". I always like learning something if I'm wrong.

Manic Pixie likes this.
  12. Yarn

Yarn Member

I also would like to know this info...especially on the topic of car insurance. Don't need some drunk driver fucking up my parked car while offline.

13. Bill Chompski

Bill Chompski Active Member

Pre-claim seems like the way to go. And if someone is inactive for long enough and just doesn't show up or tell the admins whats up, you could cut the issue of that out by removing their claim. ICly they missed the bills or something, I dunno.

Yarn likes this.
  14. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    The Old Man

Will just chime in on this real quick, there will be a pretty ridiculous amount (imo) of housing options on this map. Of course there will be some choice properties, but there should be a variety of options for all paygrades.

Also, I *may* have found a way to create a decent map easily, so hopefully that will help folks out. Of course, somethings will be redacted, but I'm not at liberty to say what. :)

As for the map itself, I am creating it using prebuilt buildings downloaded from other users, custom buildings I made (ie strip club, mall, boardwalk, etc) and polishing items like streetlights, stop signs, and stuff like that. I will say that those polishing items I've just begun on, and they're being a dick so far, but I will continue to try to make those work better.

Don't know what the date for application opening is myself, as I'm not a true admin anymore, but I'll be continuing to work on the map until lore start, which is coming very fast from what little I do know. I will also be continuing work on the map after lore launch during pre-apoc phase for a couple select areas (no I can't tell you).

Finally, I've had that fat cat in the water video playing for at least an hour now. I love fat cats and the BeeGees.

Andrew Noah, Manic Pixie and MindGate like this.
  15. Manic Pixie

Manic Pixie Murder Girl
    Staff Member Senior Admin Contributor

I knew there was a reason I'm madly in love with you, old man.

El Cid likes this.
  16. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    The Old Man

It's the beard probably.

Also, a little taste of something I added today. Don't want to give away too much just yet, but I'll put it here SINCE I CAN'T MAKE NEW POSTS IN THIS FORUM! Alas...

Some houses.jpg

17. John/Jane Doe

John/Jane Doe Still Alive.

Is there any news on when applications will open for the next lore and when we should expect to see the next lore start?