LORE UPDATE: New Lore Information and Update 2/13

Discussion in 'News' started by El Cid, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:44 PM.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Road Ahead (Main Lore) News
    Lore Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Application for the main lore have started!

Who goes there? News

Mini Lore is currently quite dead.

1. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    Staff Member Take All My Money! Contributor Master Builder Senior Admin

Good afternoon fellow New Dawners? New Dawnites? New Dawnians? Whatever. Back again with another update! The admins have been working diligently on many new architectural wonders for you all to hide in, burn down or whatever else suits your fancy.

While we have been working hard, we also are starving to get to the freaking RP already! To that end, we decided to enlist the help of some of players, who graciously volunteered to help. We've started with three folks who volunteered, many thanks to Harps, Lucky and Gluttony. We had many more volunteered, which I am grateful for, and we may be contacting you soon depending on if we need more help. Hopefully this will get our building done quickly!

Soon, MindGate will be releasing a quick lore teaser with some information on the start of the lore. We are also looking to open up applications soon so that you may get your characters fleshed out and even submitted. That way there will be no delay once we are done building and we can get started quicker.

As for updates, here is what is known and what is new information. Thanks!

Update 2/5:

• Lore will take place during current time (2018).
    • This will take place in Illinois (ill-uh-noise) around the Chicago area.
    • We will have premade starter kits available, or you may choose “custom” kits with a maximum of 6 item types. Items to be reviewed by admins of course.
    • Map will be most of the Vanilla map, plus the over the river mod and major custom additions by the team. (yes this will be a huge map without cars, we have decided to keep it that way. If it ends up being an issue, we have contingency plans.)
    • Cars are unfortunately out of the picture at this time, as well as sprinters.
    Update 2/12:
    • CHARACTERS:
      • We will not be allowing returning characters this lore. This is to create a fresh environment with all new characters and intrigue. We will be considering characters who were barely played or not played at all on a case by case basis as well.
      • National Guard - There will be a permanent cap of 6 members of the National Guard. Once these characters die off, they will not be replaced (by more national guard players).
    • RADIOS:
      • We will be using Mech radios only. No /all *R* except to call for an admin for an in game issue.
      • You can use /shout for loud noises - gunshots, etc
    • MAP:
    Update 2/13:
    • APPLICATIONS:
      • Applications are now live!
      • We are currently accepting applications, however, we are still building on the map, which is the current priority. Therefore you may see longer wait times before reviewing.
        • An official app-processing and/or lore time will be given in advance so everyone will know the cut-off time as we get closer.
    • MODS:
    Update 2/17:
    • MAP BUILD:
      • Work continues at a steady pace. Would like to send a shoutout to Lucky for her extended help building this week, and for stopping the great Fairhaven fire!:)
        • I will be evaluating where we are towards the end of next week. My goal is to get the most important/main buildings done first. After that, I plan on having applications start being processed.
        • Lore will start relatively soon after that, either way.
    • APPLICATIONS:
      • Just a reminder, while we're not processing them, we have been looking at apps, because we're dying to get started too. Please make sure that you have filled out all your questions properly while we're idle on officially processing the apps.
      • No need to bump apps yet. Towards the end of next week, I will give admins the green light to start processing them, but right now I need them building.
    Having said all that, thank you for your patience during this build time. The build is looking great, and it will really add some cool elements to surviving this lore. If anyone has any questions or concerns, feel free to reach out to me on any various methods of PM.

#1 El Cid, Feb 12, 2018 at 9:44 PM
    Last edited: Feb 18, 2018 at 12:40 AM
    TuckerCTM, Lucky Duck and RickDeckard like this.
  2. Wispear

Wispear No.
    Contributor

Hi guys,

Just wanted to drop in my insight on the upcoming lore and the rules that come with it. I was looking forward to see everyone again in game, have a blast with the incredible roleplayers I have met ...then I saw this line in the rules section.

• We will not be allowing returning characters this lore. This is to create a fresh environment with all new characters and intrigue. We will be considering characters who were barely played or not played at all on a case by case basis as well.
    Now normally I try to be flexible with the rules even if I do not necessarily agree with but this one seems to be simply put - pointless. Let me elaborate.

I have had a brief period as admin and had a chance to go through several applications, reading through and quite frankly many of them were very half-assed, or often times reused material straight up from TWD, or other series, movies etc. Now that in itself is not bringing a previous character to life, however bringing a cliché sexy teen with troubled background is about a dime a dozen in ND. Or the tragic soldier. Or the cold killer. Slap a new name on them and go forward....point being, for those who do not put effort into their characters, this rule will likely be easily shrugged off as they can just submit their application.

Now for those who actually have a well established background for their characters and would like to create an alternate timeline for their well loved character, it is a problem. And these folks are usually the ones that actually bring the story forward.

I find it very hard to believe that this rule will change anything as those who metagamed before will do so again, having several communication lines available for them to do so (steam, discord, etc.). Passive players will continue to be passive, I think you get my point and mech gamers will likely not even understand why this rule is an issue.

Anyhow, that's the end of my rant - and really hope this rule will be re-thought.

Lucky Duck likes this.
  3. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    Staff Member Take All My Money! Contributor Master Builder Senior Admin

Thanks for the input Wispear. This rule is not aimed for the half-assed or copied material. That will have to continued to be patrolled as best we can as admins. Either way, this wouldn't be affected by this rule.

It is my belief, and that of the admin team, that people who have created rich, in depth characters with deep backgrounds can do so again. They can also drive the story forward, same as before, and I would argue, a new character would push them to do so more than before. Stretching yourself out, RPing as someone new, I think would encourage the player to make new bonds, new stories and new ideas.

If players are metagaming, then that is on them. They are only ruining their own fun and that of others as far as I'm concerned. A quick reminder that metagaming is illegal on this server, and although extremely hard to prove, can and will be punished. Plus like I said before, I feel it ruins the players fun anyways.

For those who disagree with the no returning characters rule, I'm sorry, but we have no plans to alter it or remove it. I again encourage you and any others to create a new character and have some fun with it. :)

Andrew Noah likes this.
  4. Opportunity's Work Ethic

Is it really that hard to make a new character? Reusing an old character seems to me like it cheats people out of the experience. If someone in this new lore runs into Robin Larson, they don't even have to fucking introduce themselves. They know immediately "oh, there's the nice guy cop, I don't even have to consider for a moment how he will react because I've already seen it happen before". They know everything about the character and what's the fun/point of that? Sure, I could change Rob to be an alcoholic, abusive Satanist to change things up, but then it wouldn't be Rob anymore and why am I even using that name if its not that character? Just make someone different so people actually have to get to know the new character.

Legion likes this.
  5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

How does this stop you? They are limiting past characters, not players.

If they have a well thought out background for a character, that means they are at least a decent RPer. What stops them from taking the time to make a new one? Odds are the good players will continue to make good characters all the same.

The rule has NOTHING really to do with metagamers does it? Seems to me its all about adding variety and not being able to just look at a character and know exactly what will happen like a poorly written horror movie.

That said, I like the idea of seeing fresh faces in the crowd. I like the idea of not looking out at people and already knowing what to expect. I like the idea of seeing some actual fresh faces in the crowd, like its a new show and not just the next episode of a show, even if it is the same actors.

Its like... if major actors just played the same character in each of their movies. Might be interesting fir the first movie but then it would get old, VERY quick.

Legion likes this.
  6. Wispear

Wispear No.
    Contributor

I'm glad you were quick to react and thank you for the feedback - I'm afraid my thought process did not exactly go through as I expected.

No I didn't say it was impossible to create a new character - what I was saying is that some people (myself, among others) like to see whether their character would experience a different outcome from starting anew in a different lore, meeting the new faces that both of you mentioned perhaps a younger version of themselves, maybe an older version of themselves, perhaps changing their background a bit, too.

As for metagaming, they do not require to see the character name when someone already tells them beforehand who they will be playing way before the lore even starts. It will not change a lot in my honest opinion either way.

I will not push the discussion any further as Cid confirmed the rule not being changed.

Legion likes this.
  7. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck New Dawn Lifer
    Map Builder Rubber Duck

It actually does have to do with metagaming. Like the example above about Rob Larson. If people are roleplaying that they already know the kind of person Rob is due to interactions from a previous lore / alternate universe, that would be metagaming. The problem isn't people bringing in old characters, the problem is people using meta information gained from previous lores to dictate how their character would react to / treat that character. I've interacted with other repeat characters in prior lores, and it didn't somehow make me magically comfortable with said character due to past relations. Take Tate and Kozuch for example. West Point lore, Tate respected Kozuch and looked up to him. Tate's second round, he was honestly quite terrified of Kozuch. Interacting with rehashed characters has never sapped any enjoyment out of my roleplay environment, and if it's doing that for you.. ... stop metagaming.

Legion likes this.
  8. Gluttony

Gluttony Member
    Map Builder Modder

I am really at odds here. I REALLY like people to play something different than what they ALWAYS do. I've seen people grow TREMENDOUSLY as writers and as RPers after being forced to RP as something/someone they've never played before. But right now, I have RP'd as close to 30 various characters over my 5 years here, and I bet with a subtle name/pic change, VERY few people would be able to tell who my character was if I mirrored them off of a former character of mine.

I understand Wispears wanting to see variations of characters in different stories - hell, Stephen King has done it with several of his books, where the same person was in different books and was a varied interpretation of themselves. I think the issue is that MANY people who reuse characters aren't trying to see something new in a character, but relive a former glory of a favorite character. I've seen it happen many times that when someone plays an older character that it isn't nearly as much fun for them as before - because the story and the setting they were in - is what set those characters up to be what they were. A new setting with an old character is more likely than not, just going to disappoint.

Lucky Duck likes this.
  9. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

I will have to agree, that doing repeats isn't for everyone. Not everyone has the ability to enjoy themselves and write a new story using the same character. Either they wind up disappointed that the character isn't going the same path as they did in a previous story, or they get bored because they suddenly realize they aren't the kind of person who enjoys things with replay value.

People get bored of their character, rehashed or not, and they'll let them rot / retire them. Characters new and old are both just as likely to either be boring as shit, or an awesomely entertaining experiences. Different strokes for different folks.

#9 Lucky Duck, Feb 13, 2018 at 8:29 PM
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2018 at 8:35 PM
  10. Andrew Noah

Andrew Noah Lore Assistant - Admin
    Staff Member Event Staff

It also ruins the fun for other roleplayers because " Oh look its Bob Joe he was here last lore and a couple lores before . . . yay. "

11. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

I'm pretty sure it barely effects your fun, given there are ample other characters out there to interact with. While there are some people out there who don't enjoy seeing a previous character, some of us delight in seeing return characters. And for new players, it's all a fresh experience, anyway, and they get the joy of interacting with well-developed "classics", if you will.

12. Gluttony

Gluttony Member
    Map Builder Modder

I will say I don't enjoy act like that a new lore is just a continuation of their old character. We'll magically teleport them 40 years, but everything that happened to them still happened. I've seen characters retain the EXACT same IC friendships over different lores and timeframes. It was /not/ something I enjoyed seeing.

13. Andrew Noah

Staff Member Event Staff

I've done that before and it definitely wasn't that enjoyable especially compared to the first time playing the character and I don't plan on doing that again.

14. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

I usually don't see enough characters both from the same lore repeating into another, to see that happening all too often, unless it was pre-planned. Like, for instance, Alvin and Wylla being form the same lore, we technically came in as a group application and made them much closer friends in their second run, being their first rendition, they were on the we-barely-see-each-other-but-we're-on-friendly-terms kind of relationship.

15. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

I think a really good, happy medium would be, setting a cap on returning characters that survived longer than a month, and a requirement of at least one full lore skipped between repeating. That would keep the fresh characters abundant but also allow for a couple returning classics here and there.

16. Andrew Noah

Staff Member Event Staff

Maybe in future lores but for this lore we've decided no returning characters.

17. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

Which I think sucks, because I was hoping to see 2 specific characters worked back in this lore that had been planned to work together since last lore, but meh. I, personally, was already planning out a fresh character for this lore. lol

18. Opportunity's Work Ethic

I present to you, Bob Carson; the Methodist traffic cop with a heart of gold.

[​IMG]

TuckerCTM, RickDeckard and Lucky Duck like this.
  19. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

This wouldn't bother me in the least, because I love ongoing gags and inside jokes that carry on through the lores.

20. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill - Lore Master
    Staff Member Event Staff Lore master

I will confess that I played Thomas as a direct continuation to his former self ...

But goddamn it, he was a religious zealot that cut off people's faces and wore them around like a Halloween mask! He also blew people up! Lots of people!

he also ate someone.

TuckerCTM likes this.