New Lore Idea

Discussion in 'Player Feedback' started by Leo_Ziegler, Dec 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Leo_Ziegler

Leo_Ziegler Member

So, I've been thinking and shit about new lores pores and all that if one were to come.

I mean, all lores will have to come to an end at some point, and this lore will most likely end soon as well.

That being said, I just had a lore idea I wanted to get off my chest and see everyone's opinion on it.

So, it would basically still be pre apocalypse like always, but with a pretty large twist.

My idea for it was that the time zone was set in 2014 or 2015, and the setting would rather be one of the new maps in Kentucky, or possibly have a lore set in a completely different state.

Also, the plot of it, I had an idea of the world being caught in War World 3, about 2- 3 years in from it. Now the cause of world war 3 I have is just a leader of a country being assassinated, and slowly it turns into WW3.

With World War 3 happening, it could offer many different, unique events that would occur during pre apocalypse. Also, as storyline events go, and the outbreak hitting our town, it usually consists of news broadcasts and shit.

My idea however, was that sure we have news broadcasts of a strange virus happening, though this is another twist.

Since WW3 would be happening, I thought it would be cool if a country with good technology like Russia or Korea would send an EMP blast to America that would last a year or so. During the EMP blast, the US of course would slowly crumble. With the EMP blast, that means the U.S. is torn apart, disconnected from the outside world, and no technology. Which means, no information about the virus going around.

So, for an event the town we're at could witness a zombie attack, and slowly over time it grows worse.

Therefore, for the meantime we have to deal woth both an EMP blast, and a zombie outbreak. And then of course, the server goes from there with many admin ran and player driven events.

Personally, I think a WW3/EMP setting would be very cool and unique for a new lore. It would offer many unique, action packed events, and out characters would have a different understanding of zombies, and would give us a long time to develop a knowledge of them. Leaving the characters within our server full of confusion, desperation, and possible chaos.

(I could go more in detail with everything, but this is just a simple suggestion that could kf course be altered if it were to actually go through)

2. Phobia

Phobia Member

Please, not a virus again. It was a virus last lore, though nobody really dug too deeply into it. I've spent a lot of time this lore actually trying to make logical sense of the zombie virus, and I've been... underwhelmed. I would rather see black magic, voodoo curses, demonic possession, alien brain slugs, or telepathic mind control; anything that does not strictly speaking need to follow in-depth medical and virology research.

If you're interested in EMPs as a potential widespread threat, I'd suggest taking a look at the Oak Ridge Natural Laboratory's report on the subject. But suggesting EMP strikes that would disable the entire country is basically suggesting a nuclear attack of the same magnitude. Same platform, same delivery. North Korea wouldn't have the technology. Russia or China might have the resources to get past the US national missile defense system, but they would be less likely to fire based on how much they'd lose in return. We would have detected the launches and retaliated in kind as per the mutually assured destruction doctrine. I believe that scenario was covered in last lore.

3. Dop 2.0

Dop 2.0 pm me momentos

It came from outer space!

4. Tucker

Tucker The Canadian Moose
    Staff Member

I'd love to see an alternate scenario of possibly a civil war in the pre apocalypse. There's always been a pretty big divide with political views in the US, so seeing another civil war wouldn't be too unlikely. Depending on where our next "Cloverport" lands on the political spectrum, it could lead to a deep hatred for a specific political view. Characters having to maybe hide their opinions on national issues and gangs/lynch mobs forming to deal with them. We can adjusted how extreme the hatred for the other side is before the lore of course, but seeing an extreme hatred for each other pre apocalypse would setup for some good conflict later on.

(I'd probably recommend having a neutral a state/town as possible)

5. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Make it aliens and put it in the 80s and let it literally be Zombies Ate My Neighbors

Leo_Ziegler likes this.
  6. I want it set in the Murican' Civil War.

RickDeckard and weirdpanther like this.
  7. Wispear

Wispear No.
    Contributor + Contributor

Setting up a mid-war lore is an interesting thought, however I believe it gives a much better experience if you have time to build up from a peaceful environment. If we started in an already messed up world - say WW3, it would be a lot less catarctic to see the first dead person for most of the civilians.

With that said, how about taking a politically or religiously torn country - somewhat similar to Tucker's idea - which is on the verge of civil war - or about to go to war with another country and one of the factions actually does use a bio weapon that becomes the cause for the apocalypse (perhaps a third party does it for profiting..just miscalculating what the actualy weapon does...)?

That would provide opportunities to have factional differences, political grudges, etc...with the addition of the zombies? It would provide a relatively peaceful pre-apoc environment, where characters could have the chance to protest/riot against the opressing other faction or whatever...then after a nice build up we get to experience the downfall of civilisation.

weirdpanther likes this.
  8. RickDeckard

RickDeckard Literally an Emu
    Contributor

I got a nice lore idea:

-One to two years in the apocalypse, simple simple! Have a high Zombie count (because Insane setting hurts my internet)
    -Start off in the TWD Prison map, let tensions rise, food run low then some sort of Zombie horde event overruns the prison, resulting in the map opening up to Muldraugh/Rosewood (However release it in sections at a time, say the whole city area, then the railyard, Rosewood etc).
    -Lift alignment restrictions (however purely evil characters are still not on or whatever), because having artificial groups come in (i.e admin bandit groups) feels forced. Yes day one bandits are not ideal, but alignments such as Lawful Evil would be persistent in the real world.
    -The no item respawn from this lore remains. Resources are not too plentiful because y'know, a year or two into the apocalypse.

Dibs being Stonewall Jackson. Or Bedford Forrest since he was a Calvary version of Erwin Rommel.

9. Stotch

Stotch Member

Lawful Evil somewhat is a fallacy in the real world. Maybe it only truely exists in goverments of oppressed countries but in all honesty. Lawful Evil is a movie blockbuster badguy allignment. Every James Bond Antagonist was Lawful Evil(Albeit depicted in multiple different lights).

What I'm getting at is Bandits are something we actually need, we need the fear of stepping out onto the street, we need the realism of TRUE looters. GOOD people don't just LOOT for the hell of it, BAD people loot, it's not nice to see your neighbour's property after a catastrophic event have random people on it stealling as much as they can get their hands on.

We shouldn't be thinking about RPing a Movie here. We should be playing the mechanical game and RPing the surrounding everchanging and ever so dangerous world around us.

Step into AGN with a new character(or any character) NOT ONE BIT SCARED.
    Step into a public server on a new character(or any character) HOLY SHIT I'M SCARED I'M ABOUT TO GET SHOT BY A BADGUY LOOTER!!.

We don't need a new lore, we need a NEW COLLECTIVE MENTALITY on the server as a whole, or we can just keep on doing the same thing twice and expecting a different result. <--Madness, Insanity.

10. Tucker

Staff Member

Loved this scene.

Leo_Ziegler and Amaxin like this.
  11. VCarrasola

VCarrasola Master of the Crops Nation

I couldn't agree more...

The server feels like some just some drama movie, not even apocalyptic.
    If we actually managed to create that environment where you trully fear, that'd be a bomb, how could you get bored with something like that? we keep asking for new lores because nothing cool is created IC, there are no factions because ... what's the point? If we did as you say, we wouldn't even need a lore to play, just some basic setting... a date... or less...

Amaxin likes this.
  12. Wispear

Wispear No.
    Contributor + Contributor

The server I believe is there for establishing us players an environment to play in..what we chose to do with it is up to us. Why would a new lore be required to have a biker gang or a new church who sacrifice people to please the gods to stop the apocalypse, perhaps a bunch of lunatics escaped from a nearby asylum? It would most certainly bring some much needed tension to the everyday life of people. It's roleplaying with pretty much endless possibilities and we as the community playing on it should very well be involved with it.

As for the horror and fear parts - I still believe that this comes down to two very distinct areas - IC fear and OOC fear. How much do you technically fear the zombies? Probably not much as they are simply program codes with a relatively calculable movement pattern, easily disposable with a few clicks of the mouse.
    How much do you fear them IC? Now that's a very interesting thing...after half a year of constantly fighting them, I'd say the initial fear is mostly passed for many people, however they still should have that unnatural gut-wrenching feeling when you hear them groan and shuffle around. Does every character play it out? Not really. Why? Because each person prefers a different aspect of roleplaying and the OOC knowledge on them affects you subconsciously.

Aside from the above - what would make one truly fear something in a game environment? Possibly nothing, really...it's again, up to us players to create the atmosphere. The admins can keep spawning in bajilions of zombies but to be honest, that would only create frustration if anything (ok, this is just a personal opinion, yet still), since technically speaking, the more zombies are active on the server, the less you can actually roleplay as you have no time to type out your emotes - I remember running through Cloverport once not long before the Owensboro horde hit, my heart was racing as I was scared for my character's life as I sat in front of my computer, but I had literally NO time to type anything out.

Additionaly, with the holidays and the recent update, many people have been inactive, which didn't help moving the roleplaying aspect of this lore in the past few weeks, hopefully that will change once we're past the christmas days.

So in conclusion - if there are no events planned in game, why not start up something? Be proactive...doesn't everything have to be a huge global event, but every little bit adds some color to the story of this lore. I have experienced very scary moments, absolutely emotional ones, and some surreal and funny ones so far and I don't think it should end so abruptly, not without any closure.

Lucky Duck likes this.
  13. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Map Builder First to Die Contributor

The problem is everyone has enough food up their ass to survive a billion years, and there isnt a safe way to get rid of it without people being pissed that they lost their 2 tons of food. And any evil aligned characters are loaded with bullet holes before they actually do anything, since everyone has as stockpile of guns they found on corpses. And most players would do anything oocly to keep their character alive, which really dampers roleplay.

14. Leo_Ziegler

Leo_Ziegler Member

Agreed.

15. Leo_Ziegler

Leo_Ziegler Member

Basically, my ideal for a new lore would basically just be an EMP blast, making food and water supply very low, no electricity resorting players to have to use hand crank flashlights or rp candles, and the most important thing of it is that the characters will have no knowledge of a zombie outbreak. So, when it hits us our characters will be extremely confused and the town will erupt in all sorts of things, and we would have to actually develop a knowledge of the zombies and how to survive.

Therefore, making the server and survival within it very difficult for everyone, the way an apocalypse should be.

16. Amaxin

Amaxin THAT guy

EMP doesn't disable electronics, it literally fries it. Majority of circuit boards can be fried with very low voltage, 5 volts, maybe 10. That's a quite interesting idea indeed, as we'd be moved back to the 17th century, basically.
    Also, watch some players come up with some bullshit as "I had those electronics hidden in a basement, inside of a faraday cage". It's just ought to happen.

I was actually going to post it in the morning, but I forgot. Curses!

Couldn't agree more. I could write lines over lines of text, but I'll limit myself to a simple picture.
    [​IMG]

17. Tucker

Staff Member

I can agree with the excessive amounts of food and the short life span of anyone remotely "bad". Though the amount of guns and the ammunition to go with them have been lacking /extremely/. A compound of 10 could be armed easily before the wipe, but from what I see now...ammo and guns are increasingly rare. It's really all about the right mix of available food and available weaponry.

I don't think any of us or at least I have any intention or desire for this lore to end yet. We're just brainstorming ideas for the next one. Trust me, if we wanted the lore to end...we'd just create a poll thread and scare everyone into never going online for fear of "uselessly" RPing. *Cough cough* last lore *Cough cough*

Brannty likes this.
  18. Andrew Noah

Andrew Noah Lore Assistant - Admin
    Contributor

Playing a character that has any SCENT of evil is almost impossible. I played Jeremy Kingsman, a convict that was trying, but failing at times, to change. He was pretty much hunted the entire lore and I honestly couldn't do anything about it as every character that was his " enemies " had full body armor, stocked weapons, bombs, and the entire server on their side. Playing an evil character currently on the server is pretty much impossible.

19. Stotch

Stotch Member

I believe it comes down to the world we as well as the admins have created... as a community.

We have defined that we need all these rules and regulations on how to RP. Procedures like large long application processes, all this shit to assume someone can RP. And in turn we restrict the possibility for the game to provide us with a great canvass for good RP.

I believe if we could:
    - Edit the rules to be not 31 pages of reading and more straight foreward.
    - Shorten the application process
    - Create a bandit application(Yes people can transition into bandits, but an application for those who wish to be robbing and looting and killing from people right of the bat)
    - Make the zombies mechanically stronger and turn respawn on, and also rework the rules on heals make the wounds count(To incite more fear)
    - Increase the map size(to allow intercity faction wars instead of across town faction wars, trade caravans, and nomadism)
    - Define PVP as Mechanical for fighting with Mechanical items, fist fights would essentially be the only form of RP fighting, guns and melee weapons would need to be mechanical. The reason for this would be to speed up the fights rping in the same spot for 3 hours to simply shoot someone is not fun) Additionally to create more fear. --------- AND/OR create a KOS zone

All in all create a system for new players to be more attracted to the server, for the rules to lean more towards a mechanical canvas(Thus creating more action and fear), for the admins to be able to process applications quicker and to have a more clear cut system on how to judge the rules/act accordingly on rule breakers.

The whole thing would be an minor overhaul of the way we do things here and the goal would be slightly faster paced high octane RP, where it's scary to leave your safehouse, where there is the need to band togehter to fight the bandits who come(and the zombies), where you could die at any moment...

- Stotch

20. Pann

Pann Worst Admin Ever
    Take All My Money!

All of these are considerations that can be taken into account. Prior to the long night (also known as retail Christmas) I was in the process of weaning the rules down. And then the forums reset and I lost everything. I will once again be returning my attention to the core of the game, and trying to simplify matters as much as possible. It isn't an overnight process - but it is something I will be looking at, now that the day of evil is over.

Tucker and Andrew Noah like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.