New Lore Idea

Discussion in 'Player Feedback' started by Leo_Ziegler, Dec 25, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. RickDeckard

RickDeckard Literally an Emu
    Contributor

Mech Combat = Okay*
    KOS = Death of Roleplay, even if faction v faction was the only KOS.

Mech combat =/= KOS, one implies consent, another is Redboid/DayZ. I don't think people are calling for KOS if they want to lean more towards mech combat.

*Depends on person and their view.

2. VCarrasola

VCarrasola Master of the Crops Nation

[​IMG]

RickDeckard likes this.
  3. weirdpanther

weirdpanther Member

This a thousand times. I'm not entirely sure why the phrase KOS keeps being brought into this thread as it's not something even being considered. Personally, I'm with Vic. The most fun I ever had on this server was back when mech combat was the norm. I'm not saying mech combat is the reason I enjoyed it, but I can at least say that I was never sucked into an OOC debate about how the fight was going down for more than an hour (as I have two or three times already in this lore). If every player behind the character wasn't so hellbent on willing every IC fight, I doubt this would be much of an issue... but right now it is.

With so many characters interacting, we the players sometimes have to remember that in order to make this experience fun for everyone, we can't always play the part of the main character. Sometimes we have to play a support role, keep someone else's story moving along, and yes, even lose a fight.

Edit: I'd also like to touch on a point made earlier by someone about being able to dictate when your character dies. Contrary to what I assume is popular opinion, I actually agree with this to an extent. The bottom line is that this game exists for one reason only, to entertain. If you're having fun, I see no reason not to keep them living as long as you can. However this is AGN not LSRP, we don't have CK vs PK in place here. When you die you die. Doing it any other way would make things very screwy continuity wise.

So what I suggest is a compromise made by someone else earlier in this thread about having mechanical fights and then deciding the results of your injuries after the fact. And if one player wants to finish the other play off, they can hunt the person down as they flee through the woods and end them with a point blank shot.

#123 weirdpanther, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
    VCarrasola likes this.
  4. player of games

if this was the case, all surprise would be lost -- the apocalypse is meant to be a hostile world, where anyone could die any second; if you've made it thus far, great, but if you make a mistake youre a dead man.

imo if you need to be coddled to the point where you decide when you die, the server would have 100 year old characters.

5. Lemis

Lemis Member

I'm not talking about keeping characters safe, my character has been shot at often and has a long term injury.

My point is that mechanical fighting is completely unfair, project zomboids PVP is terrible, it's glitchy and unreliable. When we decide it's ready for our characters to die to move on with the story, it should be done with text. It shouldn't be down to mechanics, as like I've said before, I was shot despite the shooter turned away from me, and two people including me were injured despite only one bullet being fired.

Also about surprise, I understand that this is a violent world where anything can happen, but it's also a roleplay server where we create interesting stories. If you wanted this to be a realistic apocalypse, people would be dying left right and centre and it would remove any emotion of death we get right now.

If death is what adds interesting story, then something is wrong, because death should only add a small amount of story. Events, relationships and conflict between factions should be the key focus here. Death is only an accessory.

weirdpanther likes this.
  6. weirdpanther

weirdpanther Member

You raise some valid points, but the whole "let's argue about this in OOC for the next hour and a half" thing is still an issue with the current community. Do you have any solutions that would prove better than letting mechanical RP hash it out?

7. Lemis

Lemis Member

Fights I've been in personally we're solved within minutes because we compromised.

A solution would be for people to just stop being so content on killing, most of the time kidnappings/injuries/hostage situations are WAY more impactful and even fun to play out.

At one point, my character Lux could have slit a characters throat easily, but she didn't, she then turned around and was shot, she could have been executed but wasn't. Now say I slit this characters throat or he executed me, that would have been it. But the character treated Lux's wound and held her prisoner, and their story evolved in to Lux caring for him, seeing his side of the story and this evolved her in extreme ways.

I understand that not all characters are as sympathetic towards human beings, not all would want to spare lives. But compromising the scene within a matter of seconds like I did, drives the story so much more.

Some people enjoy killing their characters, in fact I'd say about 60% of the server wouldn't mind if their character died in fair ways, and this is great! But some people are attached to their characters, myself included. So having 40% of characters ending up with a compromised combat scene isn't going to throw the server in to 0 deaths and over population.

weirdpanther likes this.
  8. weirdpanther

weirdpanther Member

This, unfortunately, is not the norm. A number of players are more concerned with winning than compromising, which is why we're sadly forced to have this discussion about how to hash out PvP in the first place.

Deleted member 1962 and Waffle like this.
  9. Lemis

Lemis Member

When I've seen fights where both characters are REALLY dedicated to winning, an admin has been the decider of what happens, and usually it's a fair compromise.

10. weirdpanther

weirdpanther Member

I keep bringing up the time of "an hour and a half" because that's the longest I've been stuck in a scene with admin intervention which, in my humble opinion, is a completely ludicrous amount of time for some thing that's technically only going to take 5 minutes max in character. Not to mention that you have to factor zombies into it. I remember when the mill fell everyone almost died because they couldn't pause the RP for the 800 zombies outside (because that would be equally stupid) but the actions took around 50 minutes to play out.

Maybe if the admins can do something to shorten the time for RP combat, it could work, but as it stands it's been pretty unplayable for me.

Tucker likes this.
  11. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Active Member

Actually, as someone who actively goes around and points my gun at people. When it is a 1v1 peaceful compromise can be found 90% of the time because the resulting injuries of two people point blank pistol spamming eachother = two dead bodies like 90% of the time. If you are mechanically shot 4 times and still have the bullets in you, you are probably already dead. You'll need a lot more food than a snickers bar to keep you alive, you'll need a whole 50 pounds.

As for the issue of murder happy people, that's their personal decision. With mechanical rules in place you can still capture / kidnap as many people as you want. You can actually have even better luck doing it!

12. VCarrasola

VCarrasola Master of the Crops Nation

Yeah, everyone complains about the mechanical wounds too but it is not that unrealistic. You won't survive 2 shotgun blasts, you can but you have to act very quickly and if your character is in pain + panic, u ded

pistol shots are very dangerous too, since it's hard to outrun them and you're going to bleed out before take the lodged bullet

and rifles... welp, you're dead

13. weirdpanther

weirdpanther Member

Oh, I was talking about RP PvP, not mechanical. Mechanical worked out pretty well for us in first lore.

14. Andrew Noah

Andrew Noah Lore Assistant - Admin
    Contributor

*Clears throat*

I am with Jack on this one. I was in a Rp text fight with several other characters as Jeremy Kingsman. It hurt to see people getting bored as it dragged on for hours, people spamming OOC " Omg hurry up. " " Just kill him already. " . . . . . so much fun, that really motivates me to make another char and really pour my heart out on making a good story.

Seriously though that long dragged out text Rp takes you out of the moment, and it's pathetic most cases as nobody can negotiate terms of how the scene should play out with their enemies.

15. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Map Builder First to Die Contributor

[QUOTE="Lemis, post: 28991, member: 4157"Some people enjoy killing their characters, in fact I'd say about 60% of the server wouldn't mind if their character died in fair ways, and this is great! But some people are attached to their characters, myself included. So having 40% of characters ending up with a compromised combat scene isn't going to throw the server in to 0 deaths and over population.[/QUOTE]
    This is in all fairness, bullshit. Maybe 10 percent of the server is willing to kill off their characters, but I know for a fact that almost every player will do anything OOCly to keep their characters as well as ICly, because ive had to deal with too many of those cases. Atleast for this lore. Most of the time that is why it takes forever, is when the fight becomes lethal, which it should have been from the beginning.

Mech combat prevents this, but it raises so many other problems.

First of all, you can literally just start running at the beginning of the fight and never get caught, since everyone passively just gets more sprinting levels the longer they play. Secondly, there is too much room for powergaming. And you are limited to what you can do in the game mechanics, which is either letting them go, or killing them. We as admins are coming up with solutions to this as well. The one upside to mech combat is zombies are so much easier to incorporate, as you dont need to freeze RP to do anything.

Which is why depending on the situation, you can choose either.

#135 harperers, Dec 30, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 30, 2016
  16. Jack Bauer

Jack Bauer Active Member

Running away is certainly a problem, and if someone saw you and ran attempting to avoid engagement I would say that's one time to warrant maybe a pistol shot or two to slow them down so they can't escape.

As for taking people prisoner and the lack of that happening. That's the blood thirsty players problem, making a bunch of rules to artificially hold prisoners will just result in people doing unrealistic things because they don't think their prisoner will break the OOC rules.

17. Pann

Pann Worst Admin Ever
    Take All My Money!

Im closing this thread for now. As I am still working on final touches for the PvP rule update, I am SURE you'll all have bitching to do then. So I am sure I'll see a new post when that happens. Until then, thanks for your input.

Jack Bauer and weirdpanther like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.