General News Next lore, the server and more

Discussion in 'News' started by Legion, Dec 15, 2017.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Road Ahead (Main Lore) News
    Lore Information

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

Application for the main lore have started!

Who goes there? News

Mini Lore is currently quite dead.

1. Legion

Legion Your tears sustain me
    Staff Member AGN Community Manager Contributor Event Staff

This post will be a constantly updated post. In it, there will be information regarding the development of this next lore, server, rule changes, balances and so forth.

The Server:
    The server itself is coming along. The basics are getting into place. The map we will be using is installed and a few of the mods as well. We will be testing for some performance things over the next few days. From there, we will enter the basic building phase.

Build Version
    The server is being built at first using the current active branch. This way, despite anything else, we will know that the server will function. However, there will be a few days that we convert it over to the vehicle test build and mess around with it and see how feasible it may be to use that for this lore.

Map Size
    I do not have an exact number for the map size to give you. However, with visual estimation, we are looking at a map whose total area should be over 30 times larger than the last map. Actual "city" area will be about 3-7X the size. There are a couple areas to the map itself and its very possible that more areas will be built by hand.

We are discussing the idea of opening the entire map. This has not been decided on yet but... if we do it will come with certain rulings... that is that if your character tries to live outside the "play area" then you will die... zombies will swarm you in your sleep and murder you. Basically, there will be a "relatively safeish zone" which would be the play area where most of the events will happen.... the area outside that will be a "dead zone" that can be accessed for scavenging purposes but is extremely dangerous. The IC reason would be along the lines of... left alone and abandoned, zombies have swarmed making the area uninhabitable. basically... if you live outside a set area, you will die kind of thing. If done, there would be included rules regarding scavenging supply points used for transportation of supplies back to the main town and so forth.

Mods
    The exact mods have not all been decided upon as of yet however....

New ORGM
    Hydrocraft
    PowerPump (possibly)
    ForageFix (possibly)
    Wedge's Item Name Fixes (possibly)
    Realistic Durabilities (possibly)
    Log Wall gates
    Zombie Loot Extended (possibly)
    Well Built Walls
    Soul Filchers Cooking Time (possibly)
    NecroForge (Admin Only)
    Lock Crafting Mod (possibly)
    Do I Have A Key For That
    MoreBuild
    Cremation (possibly)
    Project Famoid (possibly)
    Fear The Rain (possibly)
    Dynamic Zombies (possibly)
    Winter Clothing (possibly, depends on lore date)
    Quick Chat

The reason so many say "possibly" is simply because they ahve not been tested yet. Its a tedious process of installing 1 mod at a time and then testing the server performance out and checking the console for any errors.

Config
    The exact server configs are still being worked on.
    Its likely the power and water will shut off within 1 to 2 months game time.
    Darkness for night time will be set to maximum.
    Night time will likely be extended.
    Additional Trait points in character creation (opposed to allowing skill levels)

Natural Spawns
    The loot availability is being drastically reduced. This means, scavenging for food, items and weapons will become very difficult. This will be rare. People will make an attempt to horde supplies. Will this make other jealous and cause raiding parties?

Weapons will become much more rare. On the flip side, we are testing out a mod called realistic durability which should make weapons last much longer. You will find less but will have what you do for longer.

Other Items.... Items that are not food or weapons will also be harder to find.

Zombies... We are testing balancing using a couple mods as well as a variety of sandbox settings for the zombies which will make it much more deadly to attack zombies. With ammo going to be in short supply, hand combat will be needed. You may have been able to get hit by a zombie once and been just fine before but that is likely to not be the case this time.

Weather.... the exact weather is being determined but do not expect it to be kind to you.

The Lore:
    The lore at this time is not being released. There will be a separate write up giving the very basics of the lore soon. Progress on the overall lore as well as a link to that will be posted here.

#1 Legion, Dec 15, 2017
    Last edited: Dec 15, 2017
    John/Jane Doe and TuckerCTM like this.
  2. PrincePAUL87

PrincePAUL87 The one who knocks.

Honest question here, as I have considered coming back recently... Who decides on these lores? Even when I was an admin and we had that godawful 90's lore with the nukes, we had no say. That was a decision made SOLELY by Tibby, and we all saw how that paid off.

So who picks what the lore is now? Because I've been checking back over the past few months and it seems like this can't be anything but a rushed decision to revert the server to that 'oh-so-sweet' fresh lore state that gets people logging in. Can you say with certainty that this is going to be a completely new and refreshing lore? Or is it going to be more recycled ideas like militaries, zones, pre-apoc etc?

I'd like to come back but I'd really like something different. If you're going to copy anything, go look at the S.T.A.L.K.E.R series and the book Roadside Picnic. Scale that idea back and it would be a nice twist on old ideas lol. I mean, shit, you could even offer rewards in the forms of artifacts at the end of an event that someone can use at some point to save their ass or something. Fun fun.

"In soviet Russia, zombie shoot you!"

Anyway I ask because I try to think back on the last few lores you guys had, and besides this recent one being occult, they sounded like the same kind of events with the same kinds of characters going on. Yes I wasn't on the server playing but I keep my eyes and ears open.

TuckerCTM likes this.
  3. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Contributor First to Die Map Builder

honestly, ive said this a few times, and i will say it again, but i think shorter themed lores are the way to go in the future.

TuckerCTM and AmongTheCold like this.
  4. Legion

In terms of the lore, one person or another pitches and idea and we go off of that. MindGate is in charge of the overall writing of the lore, however the lore itself is an admin team decision. We discuss what we think of the lore story, suggest and discuss changes and additions as needed.

The lore reset this time had a few reasons and it was sort of rushed but for a reason.

As you may or may not be aware, a game update awhile back made things very unstable. The server was lagging pretty bad and there was nothing we could do without a map reset which means, lore over. However, we persisted. Come the next update, it literally killed our map. Broke the entire server too. A week later after the devs looked at our server for information, they posted another update which fixed the map... sort of. The map was no longer corrupted but the persistent lag remained. Unfortunately, in this community, if the server goes offline for more than a day people tend to just... vanish. Considering the weak player base right after the server came back up and the persistent issues with the server, we decided to end the lore early. This allowed us to wipe the server and start new. Already this had paid dividends in terms of server performance with some adjustments that could not be made without resetting the entire map. Plus with the holidays rolling up... holidays tend to kill the community and the player base too....

As for the lore being fresh and new... I dont know. I dont know what the lores were like exactly before my time here. However, The last lore and the... what... last 1/4 of the one before that we have been testing some new ideas out.... Some worked out, others did not. Like I was really hoping having a set, secret bad guy faction (the cult) would have worked but that failed for a number of reasons, our own fault as well as players. But we learned from it. As for the characters being the same... dont blame the admin team for that... blame the certain players that always play the same basic characters over and over and never make anything new.... which we are getting ideas for that will make it potentially dangerous for repeat characters. A more hands on approach possibly.

We dont have any sort of exact lore planned out as of yet... its currently being worked out.

MindGate and Grayfox like this.
  5. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck New Dawn Lifer
    Map Builder Rubber Duck

Workshop ID: 771675421
    Mod ID: SRGMoreHairColours

Can we please, please, please have this hair color mod, so we can rock darker shades of blue/green/red? When I've seen it used on other servers, I've never seen random zombies walking around with colored hair - only if they were dead players.

6. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    Staff Member Take All My Money! Contributor Master Builder Senior Admin

I believe we tested this last lore, because I wanted it too, but the zombies looked like clowns for some reason?

John/Jane Doe likes this.
  7. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

Are we sure that wasn't the other hair mod (the one that gives white / multiple red shades / a 2nd blonde)?

[​IMG]

It just looks so much better than the green we get from the other hair mod. :(

8. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    Staff Member Take All My Money! Contributor Master Builder Senior Admin

Oh i thought there was only one and I'm too tired to look it up. But if there's one that works, I'm all for it.

9. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Contributor First to Die Map Builder

i swear to god if someone just puts this mod on and doesnt check it, and we end up with zombie clowns, i will kill someone.

Star likes this.
  10. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

You're determined to be the only clown on the server, we know.

11. Legion

I might just do this now and lock you in a room by yourself..... ;)

:dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead::dead:

Star likes this.
  12. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill - Lore Master
    Staff Member Event Staff Lore master

MORE HAIR COLORS. WE WANT MORE HAIR COLORS

Star likes this.
  13. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill - Lore Master
    Staff Member Event Staff Lore master

14. player of games

if your hair and eyes aren't brown get out my face

15. a rabbit

a rabbit New Dawn Lifer

im playing an albino so I can have a legit reason for long white hair and red eyes, also my name will be BloodSlicer

16. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

17. Grayfox

Grayfox The Foxiest Admin

And your character will feed off of blood, no this isn't a vampire this is a completely different and new OC called a zampire

18. Lucky Duck

Map Builder Rubber Duck

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=612100872

I'm also curious about this mod.. not exactly for the idea of military gear, but if you look at it, they have items that allow other kinds of bag slots.. perhaps we could figure out / ask how exactly that was done? The mod itself doesn't seem to work well with cars, but I'm not sure if it's the items that add extra slots that does it.

It'd just be cool to have knife sheaths and what-not, or medic vests.

John/Jane Doe likes this.
  19. Leo_Ziegler

Leo_Ziegler Well-Known Member

20. Legion

OP updated