NPC Redshirt Rules

Discussion in 'News' started by MindGate, Aug 11, 2019.

1. MindGate

MindGate Totally Overkill
    Staff Member Senior Admin Meme King of New Dawn Lore Master

NPC REDSHIRTS

We’ve decided to reinstate NPC redshirts (often referred to as invisible NPCs), I’ve been working on a system personally that I believe will be fair in the long run and lessen our need for admin assistance, as well as help drive the threat of certain factions. If you’ve ever played D&D or anything involving dice-rolling, I think this will be simple enough to grasp in the long run.

• NPC Redshirts will be represented with a pawn, usually a mannequin (White representing unarmored. Black representing armored). They will be equipped with a basic firearm and ammo.

• They are ultimately going to be treated as redshirts. These NPCs will not have names or be in a position to carry on conversations with anyone, merely only there to bolster faction forces in times of conflict.

• NPC Redshirts will have two different health pools. You will only need to hit them once to kill them. You will require a +30 roll to kill an unarmored NPC, and a +50 roll to kill an armored NPC.

• NPCs will only have one action, either to fire or move. The action will be decided and played out by the current GM/DM/REF of the event.

• Once an NPC is killed, they will drop the items they’re using, including armor, weapon, and ammo.

• Your aim levels will also matter in this system. Each level will give you an additional amount of points on your roll.
    1 > +5

2 > +5

3 > +5

4 > +10

5 > +10

6 > +10

7 > +20

8 > +20

9 > +20

10 > +30

Tucker and Venom like this.
  2. omjo93

omjo93 Member

This is a step closer to making Project Zomboid 2.0's giant zombie army a reality.... So ofc I like it!

In all seriousness, I'll have to see the mod before having a useful opinion on it.

Does this mean combat will be turn-based?

MindGate likes this.
  3. Alex12

Alex12 Member

Unless I missed something is not a mod. In fact rolling a dice can be done in game with the item "dice" and the command /roll (from 1 to 100)
    Same goes with the deck of cards with /card, giving you a random card. In case any of you want to play something together.

===============================================================================================

With that out of the way. Question time:

1) So, we'll be rolling... What? a D20?

2) Going off the assumption is a d20. What happens if you roll below 30/50? Do you miss completely? Or do you injure them if you land in a set range?(say, 25-29 are injuries for unarmored oponents)

omjo93 likes this.
  4. omjo93

omjo93 Member

Thanks for clarifying that. I didn't know these could be done in vanilla PZ.

5. EnvyDemon

EnvyDemon Member

I think this is a good ground to tread until we get NPCs that Admins are able to script/command.

MindGate likes this.
  6. Dop 3.0

Dop 3.0 New Member

A d20 would make it impossible to kill an armored target without at least level four aiming. So what kind of dice would we be using?

7. MindGate

We will be using a d100. I'll have and see if I can use it on the server with the base dice, if not, we'll be using an off-site dice roller.

8. MindGate

Yes.
    As with most battles that include numerous people in it, especially during events, we prefer using turn-based over mech when possible. Turn-base will be the go-to when utilizing combat scenarios with these.

9. MindGate

D100. I have to see if we can do it with the dice on the server, if not, we will probably be using Roll20. We will be putting the players first with this system, though!

10. Alex12

Alex12 Member

As I've said before, it is completely possible.
    Since I found a dice I've been using it every now and then so it at least works.