Starbound RP

Discussion in 'Player Feedback' started by Anonymous, Mar 9, 2017.

1. harperers

harperers Dead Inside
    Map Builder First to Die Contributor

if anyone is discussing outside of AGN i would love to join in.

2. Super hyped. Don't think I have the time in my schedule to try out for admin but I'd encourage anyone who does to put their name forward. This has the potential of being a really enriching role-play experience and it'll only be as good as it's community and admins that run it. I'm really looking forward to it and as we speak I'm already drafting up some cool characters. It'll be interesting to see how this would work with New Dawn, seeing how the two games' player bases COULD very well combine and cause an overall increase in population, which really would, all in all, be great for the aggressive gaming community in general. Once again, I can't express how much I hope this thing gets off the ground.

3. Kerginox

Kerginox New Member

In all honesty we shouldn't need a planet claiming system. On the second most popular starbound rp server, only losing to galaxy citizen, there were no planet claims. Instead, we all had amazing staff, planet saves, and logs of some kind to find out who was building on what planet.

4. Fair enough, don't really have much experience on things server-side myself so if it isn't needed then even better.

5. Kerginox

Kerginox New Member

Yup, not needed. Just gotta make sure to some extent thst the players on the server don't have the intent of greifing

6. RickDeckard

RickDeckard Literally an Emu
    Contributor

Sounds good, wouldn't mind playing on it, might even admin if I have the time.

7. PrincePAUL87

PrincePAUL87 The one who knocks.

This sounds awesome, as I love sci-fi shit. However let's not fool ourselves and forget the trends this community follows. If we start seeing furry trans-species gender fluid blobs can we please just kill it before it even starts? My faith in this community is at an all-time low. I have ZERO interest in playing The Sims: Lust in Space, and the lore will need to be solid to avoid powergaming. Given the sci-fi setting it's not hard to do it and I have seen some REALLY crazy RP during my forays into RP servers.

Would love to see something incorporated into some of the racial lores, a bit like how Arelith has Drow players required to partake in PvP weekly.

Anyway, feel free to prove me wrong. I encourage it.

8. Lucky Duck

Lucky Duck Quack
    Rubber Duck Map Builder

You know you want to snuggle up to a big fluffy Lola Bunny.

9. I would be so down for this

10. a rabbit

a rabbit Active Member

Me and a friend of mine not involved with AGN would join for sure, should it happen

11. PrincePAUL87

I've been seriously thinking about this today and already thought of a few key concepts and basic lore. It's obvious from the replies that there is interest from almost all corners of the community. I feel like it would good to have a bit of a different roleplaying atmosphere to both compliment the sci-fi setting, and also differentiate it from the PZ server.

Feel free to pick this apart and ridicule it, but this is what I can come up with off the top of my head. Please note; it's been a looooong time since I read the Starbound lore, so I may get some racial motives wrong.
    -3 factions in which the characters will be a part of. Each one will incorporate a different roleplaying atmosphere, but there will be times this crosses over.
    -An evolving server lore with limited intervention, shaped around player interest and drive.
    -No admin groups!

So with these points in mind, this is what I came up with:

(Don't laugh at the faction names, just placeholders!)

After a long journey through multiple star systems, the Culture and Colonies Collective have finally arrived at their most recently purchased planet. Finding suitable worlds for the refugees of galactic conflicts to find sanctuary upon has always been lucrative business, but dangerous too. The news of CCC ships carrying labour, supplies, and weaponry easily spreads throughout the galaxies, and all too often they end up missing. Seeking a safer alternative to procuring galactic real estate, the CCC has made a private deal with an emerging guild of freelance traders. The Hub has long been a dream, but the erasure of civilizations, races, and planets has enabled a small group of business men to thrive; building their own space station in a now deserted backwater system. Unfortunately for the CCC, neither they are immune to the underhanded business tactics employed by traders of The Hub; their newly purchased planet little more than a war ravaged wasteland. Calling on HQ for additional supplies, the refugees wait for a response... For 9 long years.

Over time, many of the refugees died off. What little that survived managed to build a shoddily built community, small enough to remain unseen except for those who know what to look for. Relations with The Hub have somewhat improved, with the refugees becoming somewhat dependent on the trade offered by the shady privateers. Business is a double-edged sword however, and it seems the refugees of the CCC are not the only valued customers of The Hub.

Forged from the remnants of a Floran commando unit, the Thorns have expanded their reach far enough to be considered a threat to any poorly defended colony. Taking land by force and using violence, they are quickly advancing toward the quiet system now inhabited by the CCC and The Hub. The recent increase of power has also lead to internal power struggles however, and the Thorns now champion a new leader. With claims of changing their tactics to something more honest, they have reached out to The Hub in an effort to find allies, or another supply of free labour, land, and resources.

So the 3 factions would be the CCC, The Hub, and Thorns. Players in the CCC can indulged in more slice-of-life style RP, with the need to trade and build, eager to hear back from HQ. The Hub would provide players with a more manipulative, task-based atmosphere, having tasks like making trades, trying to undercut other traders and secure deals etc. And lastly Thorns will be for those that like a bit of PvP and more antagonistic RP. Bare in mind, the Thorns are a mixed band of pirates. PvP wouldn't mean going to kill off the other factions, it would likely be a lot of in-fighting. On top of that, with the uncertainty of the new leaderships aims, there would likely be a strong divide within the ranks... I'd say just like Drows on Arelith, Thorn players would need to jump through an extra hoop to get in that faction to avoid griefing.

Anyway, there is a skeleton of a lore that I feel provides a suitable environment for a nice variety of roleplay as well as systems for lore progression and admin involvement. I'd suggest 1 or 2 admins leading each faction, and events being a bit more limited. Obviously what I've written isn't itself the proposed lore, but just an idea of how such a thing could work.

Deleted member 697 likes this.
  12. Got a little inspired and decided to write a sort of lore suggestion (albeit a brief one) of my own - I do like the idea of enforcing certain race-based activities in terms of PvP, however, I would like to give players a bit of leeway in terms of straying from the norm. Tried to adapt some elements of yours while making it a bit more line with the current Starbound lore, aside from minor changes. For example, the Floran one would be the more aggressive PvP based one, however, there would be a technological side to it as well given that the Glitch are known to have attempted to educate Floran villages with their missionaries.

The Divide. A quadrant that has been disputed territory ever since it was first found. Though initially under control of the New Terran Protectorate, a multi-racial empire founded upon the basis of scientific research and discovery, it wasn't long before power and control got the best of the leaders. Now in shambles after centuries-worth of prosperity, the contending races began vying for control of the sector and out of this new conflict, three major alliances were forged.

The Metallum Pact for one, headed by the Florans who rely on their Glitch counterpart for technology in armaments in exchange for some claim of their own in the new territory. The Human-Apex Union, an unsteady connection built upon similarities between the two races and otherwise good relations in the past to further their influence in The Divide, although certain ethical qualms with the Miniknog's true intentions has raised questions as to how far this alliance will go and widespread corruption in the USCM has not helped the fact. And finally, the Aetherian Hylotl Coalition has brought together both the Avian followers of Kluex as well as the Hylotl into the system each with different goals. The Avians desire to establish a new Kluexian Caliphate while the disjointed Hylotl are in search of a new home.

As an overarching war stirs up chaos throughout the system, with battles being fought left and right, some of the more optimistic lot have seen this as an influx of opportunity. With the demand for production and trade at an all-time high, many have taken advantage of this and moved into the system in order to set up shop, however, this business boom has come with its own set of problems. Profiteers and double dealers have almost become commonplace on some planets as day by day the system becomes rife with more convicts whether they are deserters looking to make a quick buck or escaped convicts from one of many USCM penal colonies.

With widespread anarchy and all-around total war, the fate of the system lies not within the hands of any large conglomerate, but rather, its people. What path shall you take?

13. Andrew Noah

Andrew Noah Lore Assistant - Admin
    Contributor

Can we just make this happen already? XD

AmongTheCold likes this.
  14. Just get in the discord for further talks about this

15. PrincePAUL87

I'm old and don't know what discord is besides the disagreement between others.

16. oh shit sorry it's basically skype but with less hassle get with the times man

17. PrincePAUL87

Watch how you talk to your elders sonny jim. I'll wash your mouth out with soap... Back in my day we had to remember a long ass number for our ICQ. Of course back then remembering a number wasn't such an issue because we didn't have cell phones. I could remember lots of numbers... Most started with 265 or 263, but they soon added an 8 to the start. Some thought that made things easier because of the phonetics... Anyway, where was I? Oh yea, and that's how we won the Gulf War.

Anyway, peace!

Deleted member 4341 likes this.
  18. ModdedTibby

ModdedTibby Community Manager
    Contributor

ust in case anyone was wondering, discord chat is popping for starbound and there is an admin team formed. We are talking about lore and concept and how things are going to work and will be working on releasing a server in teh near future

19. ModdedTibby

ModdedTibby Community Manager
    Contributor

we would like to hear what our players want!

20. Anonymous

Anonymous Guest

Would like a very indepth lore with more revealed as it progresses if need be and 1 starting planet that's prebuilt with more to be added as time passes, the incorporation of vanilla elements to mix with RP so allow us to visit planets and fight creatures and such (RP Hub planets CAN be safezones) and all in all just stop any furries from applying.