State of the Union/Update/What's on El Cid's mind.

Discussion in 'News' started by El Cid, Apr 10, 2018.

1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. The Road Ahead (Main Lore) News

View the lore information BEFORE posting an application.

We reserve the rights to reject applications that does not fit the lore information. In any case, if you have any questions regarding the lore, please contact us.

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Custom colored Chatbox have been temporary disabled due to overwhelming bugs require attention while fix is on the way. Whisper distance have been rollback to default so people that seems far can still hear you.

3. Factions News

Click the link to view information regarding playable IC Factions

>> Click HERE for Lore Information <<

Dismiss Notice
  1. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    Staff Member Take All My Money! Contributor Master Builder Senior Admin

Afternoon folks! Well I got lucky and someone came back from vacation earlier at work (dysentery or something, I dunno), and I thought I'd do a long overdue update/state of the union/etc post! I know you've all waited with great anticipation, so wait no more!

First off, I want to nip this in the bud right now, as I've gotten a few questions on it since last weekends event: NO YOU ARE NOT STUCK IN A BUNKER! YOU ARE FREE TO COME AND GO AS YOU PLEASE! YES I KNOW IT LOOKS LIKE A BUNKER! IT IS NOT! :) Go out, get fresh air, do what you need to do, return to your settlements, etc..

We are well aware of most people's feelings on a 'bunker', so fret not, we are not that stupid. Well I'm not anyways. What's that you ask? You heard about some dangerous things outside? Perhaps, perhaps not. If you would like to find out, the answers are there, go RP and figure stuff out.

Second, I want to remind folks of our upcoming raffle for a steam gift card! Currently the gift card amount is up to $45.00, and all you need to do is donate $1 (or more) to gain entry. This helps with server costs (no, admins still don't get paid) and gives you a chance to win a pretty awesome prize!

Recently we had our first "Trader" mini-event. For those of you who couldn't make it, the Trader has created his own 'trade port' if you will, and will be a source of many valuable and needed items now and in the future. Please see the link below for more information:

https://newdawn.aggressivegaming.org/threads/first-trader-mini-event.9591/

In MOD news, ORGM recently pushed out an update that reduced gun damage across the board. As you can imagine, this means you will need more ammo to kill. Since the majority of folks are using stealth, melee or a combination of these, it should affect mostly PVP and major events. As Legion mentions in the post below, we will be monitoring it as we go:

https://newdawn.aggressivegaming.org/threads/first-trader-mini-event.9591/

Speaking of major events, our previous large event over the weekend was a great success! Those of you who dared to venture into the dead zone got to see some eye opening events, and I think it drove some really fun RP opportunities. We had a great turn out, so thank you all who came out for the event, and I hope you enjoyed it as much as I did watching it from above.

This brings me to my last point. We are having stellar participation in events (upwards of 30 for the last one) which I am thrilled about. However, I feel that the space in between events has had dwindling participation. I would really like to boost night-to-night activity in order to build RP relationships, player driven storylines, and character development. This is an important time for all of that, and (one of the most important parts to me) is for you and your character to bond. That's right, I said bond with your character.

'But Cid! Nobody is on when I'm on!' and 'Papa Cid! It's scary when it's night time, I can't see anything and the zombies are fast!'. I get it, I understand. It can be hard sometimes. While the admin team has a few things in the works for this, we need to have players feel encouraged as well. So some suggestions on my part:

'Nobody is on right now! I have no one to RP with! I have nothing to do!' - This one, I understand. Really, I do. It's tough when you log on and you see 4 people, where 3 of them are off in some other base. The thing I've found is, it can be like a Junior High dance. You have the boys on one side and the girls on the other, and no one wants to cross that invisible line and feel embarrassed to be the first one dancing. (that makes sense in my own head, hopefully it does for you too). Be the brave one! No one's online? Log in anyways! Be the first one, RP solo, log on and read a book IC to have a skill bonus.

Still bored? Stay in your safe place IC and switch over to the forums, read up on bios, or even better, send out a radio call on the IC forums to discuss whatever you want. Set up a meetup, a BBQ, a skinny dip party (ERP rules apply), a poker tournament, anything you want. Set a time and date etc! The more people doing stuff like this while logged in, the more people will be attracted and create a circle of RP goodness!

'Papa Cid! It's scary when it's night time, I can't see anything and the zombies are fast!' - You're right! They are! They also like to run in place! The thing is, unless you've decided to live in downtown Fairhaven (and if so, kudos to you and your wheelbarrow you lug your massive balls around in), there really aren't any zombies around any of the bases I am aware of. I've noticed some of the successful bases also have an outdoor area, either on roofs, or blocked off outside. Build a fire! Roast marshmellows! Don't shoot off guns! Etc etc etc...

But yes, it can be very dangerous this lore. It can be hard. So the point I'm trying to hammer home here is, DON'T play to WIN, play to RP and have SHARED EXPERIENCES! If you're playing to win, especially this lore, it will be stressful and boring. Danger is part of this world, and I've noticed a strong trend of people logging off at night time, or even when there might be danger. In my opinion, if you're doing this, you're cheating yourself out of a ton of potential fun.

If it makes you feel better, my character already died! Not even by zombies, by a group of characters who found out he had been stealing from their claim, tracked him down, and shot several new holes in his body. It made for great RP! (at least I hope the others felt that way). Sometimes losing, dying, being the heel, getting caught, etc etc is what makes for the best experience. Sure, it can suck losing a character you're attached to, but remember that this server is a symbiotic community. Taking the hit from time to time generates so much good RP, that if we all do it, it will circle back to you in the future, and make for a spectacular lore.

Anyways, that's my soapbox, but I hope everyone reads it in a positive mindframe, as that's what I'm thinking as I'm typing it.

I also want to hear from all of you. Meaning me, personally, (not that the other admins don't, but I digress) but I want something less formal than the forums. So starting soon, I will be hosting an El Cid Town Hall on discord on a weekly or biweekly basis. My hope is we can use this to all come together, discuss issues, ideas, etc etc and help this community grow and be better. I'll be releasing the 'pilot' episode date soon, and we'll see how it goes. If it turns into a cluster truck (aka, Nick Clinton), then I'll think of another way.

Hope you're all having a great Tuesday (or Wednesday for some folks), see you IG soon!

Yarn, TuckerCTM, Devon Robert and 3 others like this.
  2. Gluttony

Gluttony Member
    Take All My Money! Contributor Map Builder Modder

Thank you for clarifying that people can LEAVE the compound. One thing I request clarification on is how many of the military are there? Is it just the few PC's we have seen protecting this whole base, or are there other NPC's?

3. El Cid

El Cid The Old Man (apparently)
    Staff Member Take All My Money! Contributor Master Builder Senior Admin

No NPC's whatsoever. There may be admin played NPC's, but you would see them.

Gluttony likes this.